Sweet sticky dumpling balls
When a couple are getting married in Taiwan, the bride's family, neighbors, and friends traditionally get together to make small dumplings from sticky rice. During the engagement and wedding celebrations, the bride's family serve the sticky dumplings to everyone who visits them. The dumplings aren't flavored, but they're usually served with a sweet soup (or sweetened in some other way).
How to make sweet sticky dumpling balls
Preparing the sticky rice dough
Ingredients3 cups of glutinous rice flour (sticky rice flour)
1½ cup of water
Instructions1. Mix all the sticky rice flour with the water to make dough
2. Put 10% of the dough into boiling water, and cook for about 2 minutes.
3. Put the the cooked dough back together with the remaining uncooked sticky rice dough.
4. Knead the dough until it's smooth and elastic.
5. Allow the dough to rest for about half an hour.
6. Divide the dough into 6 portions.
7. Roll the dough until into a sheet 1cm thick, then cut it into 1cm x 1cm pieces.
8. Roll each dough piece in your hands, and make it into a little round ball.
Preparing the sweet soup5 cups water
5 tablespoons black sugar or enough to taste
Instructions1. Bring the water to the boil, then add the black sugar. Allow the black sugar water to simmer for about half an hour.
How to cook the dumplings
Instructions1. Prepare a saucepan, fill with about 1 liter of water, bring it the boil.
2. Put about one cupfull of dumpling balls into the boiling water.
3. When the balls float to the top of the water, they are cooked.
4. Serve the cooked dumpling balls together with the hot sweet soup.